Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ad Deconstruction




I have seen commercial and ads to nutrisystem everywhere. These commercials keep telling you that in order to look great you need to look thin. They make people who are not thin feel not so great looking. I choose this ad because I am constantly reminded to loose weight. I want to see how much truth there is to these ads that make you believe such things.
Deconstructing time:

Association: People see the picture of the woman in her before picture and after picture showing that she indeed has "lost" her weight with this product. People now desire to be like this woman.

Bribery: There will be individual counseling for free.

Plain Folks: The woman in the ad looks like an ordinary lay who has lost weight with this system. It makes you believe you can also.

Repetition: " I went on nutrisystem and lost..." Repeating these words to convince you into trying the product.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you chose to write about the "weight" ads because whether we are thin, thick, unfit, or even thin but don't exercise there are ads for us all. We're all looked down upon for looking a certain way when in reality no one is perfect.

    I suggest that you ad CELEBRITIES to your list of persuasion techniques because Marie Osmond is a very influential woman in the entertainment business.

    ReplyDelete